School’s out! And Nordhavn has a challenge for kids this summer.
With most camps and youth sports leagues canceled this summer, we at Nordhavn are launching a fun challenge for kids to do over their break. Announcing the Nordhavn Design contest. We are inviting kids to put their vision of a Nordhavn yacht down on paper. Winners in several categories will be awarded.
How does it work? We want kids to check out pictures of actual Nordhavns and draw a seaworthy vessel that complements the current designs of the brand. But we want you to get creative and add your twist to it. Here are the rules, terms and conditions:
Submissions will be broken down into three age groups:
- Under 7 years old
- 7 – 10 years old
- 11 – 14 years old
One winner per age group will be chosen in the following categories:
- Most resembling a Jeff Leishman Nordhavn design
- Most innovative design
- Most comprehensive design (ie: profile and arrangement plans; detailed specs sheets, etc.)
- Contest is open to all children up to age 14. We will not be asking for proof of age, but please be honest and don’t submit your 14 year-old’s drawing in the under 7 category!
- No tracing allowed.
- No computer generated submissions allowed.
- All art mediums accepted: pencil, paint, ink, crayon, etc.
- Drawings should include these basic specs: Model length, beam, draft, speed, range, fuel capacity (These should make some sense. Put your math skills to work to determine realistic numbers!)
- Please include a descriptive paragraph of the boat. (Is this boat a full displacement or moderate displacement? Ocean crosser or ambitious coastal cruiser? Does your boat need crew? How many people does it sleep? What are the boat’s innovations, if any?, etc.)
- Additionally, we challenge you to provide responses for the following questions:– What happens if your design hits a rock?– Is your design safe in big waves?– Where would you build your design and why?– How do you imagine people using your boat design and where would they go?– How many people would it take to build your boat and how long would it take?– How much would your boat sell for?
- To submit artwork, please fill out the submission form and attach a photo of the drawing.
- One drawing submission per person
- Contest runs June 3 – August 1, 2020.
We can’t wait to be wowed by your creative designs and discover who out there might be the next great naval architect!